Friday, February 15, 2008

Pain

(post 9)

I wrote on this space for 30 min just a minute(or thirty) ago. The title of the blog was "Calm." It was a decent post. Not spectacular, but decent. Somehow I deleted it when I was trying to copy it and spellcheck it. That was ok because the awesome autosave feature kicked in right before I killed it. I only lost my signing out line. Easy to reproduce, no big deal. I felt elated. So I proceeded to copy it to spellcheck it and guess what, I mysteriously killed it again (and it still didn't make it to my clipboard). "So what?" says I, "I'll just go back to the saved draft and grab it again right?" As I think this the autosave does it's job again, only a half second before I could tap the appropriate button. *Deathknell* I'm thinking that the cruel irony is worse than the original pain of loosing it. Besides that, my stupidity is being rubbed in my face.

by the way. no spahellerChecking for this one. ever.

-Schlange

5 comments:

Schmetterling said...

Not to laugh at your pain, sir, but that's REALLY funny--I mean brilliant in an ironic sort of way. Who knew autosave could cause you to LOSE stuff?

Jason L Secrest said...

The autosave giveth and the autosave taketh away.

Schmetterling said...

Amen and amen.

Zen Davis said...

I am here because of a hate/hate relationship with "autosave" myself. I have never lost a whole post thank God, but I have lost words I wanted to keep and that's enough to have me writing Blogger AGAIN and begging for an "autosave off" feature.

Thanks for posting on a topic that most "worldly" bloggers think is silly. I have read several "helper" bloggers' convoluted ways to "bypass" autosave, including publish a post of nothing then edit it (autosave is off on a currently published post) or typing it all in word and pasting it in.

How about Blogger just give us the option of using it????

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. I will be checking out more of your blogs as soon as I finish wracking my brain for the first paragraph of the blog I was almost finished with!

Jason L Secrest said...

Thanks for your comment state o' grace. It feels nice to be appricated. Good luck with your crusade. Another tactic, by the way, is something new to word 2007 - it has a blog writing feature so you can publish to your blog directly from word. Sometimes I do that and sometimes I don't, but I was happy to learn about it. Again, good luck.