Thursday, February 21, 2008

At A Later Date

(post 13)

Sadness.

I haven't been on a date in somewhere between two and three years. Much of that has to do with me volenteering two years of my life to teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I've been back from my mission for 6 months and just haven't got the guts up to ask anybody to go with me. So, I finaly did. I worked myself up to asking a pretty, nice, and funny girl to go ice-skating with me over the period of about 2 months.(That is to say, it took me 2 months to ask, rather than asking her to go ice-skating for 2 months.) I called her today and asked if she'd like to go. She said, "If you mean Friday or Saturday, I can't. My family is coming into town and I'm going to spend the weekend with them."

OUCH - not so much because she had other plans (and if I were her I would have said exactly the same thing), it's just that I spent so much time freeking out about it for nothing. Now I feel a little ackward about asking again - the same casual invitation, if repeated next weekend would now be not so casual by way of the repetition. How long are you supposed to wait before asking again? Maybe I need to ask someone else to go with me. Maybe then I wouldn't feel so akward asking later. (for those of you who are laughing at me, remember that this is a big thing for me right now... I'm soooooo out of touch with how to deal with women). *Sigh*

If anybody who lives close to me reads this I'd appriciate it if you'd keep this to yourself. If you're a woman who lives close to me reading this, then forget you read it. Think of me as suave and debonair. =)

-Schlange

1 comment:

Schmetterling said...

I, in all my wisdom gained over the past 13 months of post-mission life, have decided that, in questions such as these, there are no hard and fast rule--often, there aren't even good rules of thumb. But, knowing the situation more than it is portrayed in this post, I feel pretty confident in reassuring you that, in asking again next week or in two weeks or in another two months or never, you probably aren't going to offend anyone--she's not the type to take offense easily, I'm pretty sure.