Monday, February 23, 2009

A Poem

And now, a short poem:

I had not time to make a sound
Nor did I move my eyes,
A coiled viper struck me down!
It took me by surprise.

Revenge I took, in passive ways-
Revenge! In perfect pose!
The odor of my skin did shock
and infiltrise its nose.

Snakes have dim eyes - with tongue they see
and taste, in part, is smell.
What my attacker licked and sniffed
has shot its sight to hell!

Wise and harmless 'twas it not,
Perhaps it shall now be be...
My unbathed body struck it blind
for now it cannot see.

Should our long dead friend Kipling want to make some sort of memorable short story with a moral out of that, I give my full permission.

-Schlange A. Taube

1 comment:

Schmetterling said...

Wow. I'm honestly impressed. I really like rhythm and rhyme, and you've got 'em both here quite nicely.

Huh. Who knew we were a couple of poets? Neither of us knew until a week ago....