Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Unintentional Conversations

(Post 5)

So... I have this incredible power: I'll give you an example first and then tell you what it is.

Two years ago I was in a public restroom stall. An other fellow walks in, sits down in the stall next to me and says in a very friendly voice, "HEY!"

"Hi... " I say in a tone of voice that indicates that my right eyebrow is raised.

"So, what are you doing?"

"Um... " (This was not the kind of question I was expecting.) "I'm using the toilet. How about you?"

At this point my friendly neighborhood restroom goer changes his tone of voice dramatically from one of friendly and outgoing to one of extreme annoyance, and uses it to say, "Hey! Would you shut up please? I'm trying to talk on the phone here!"

I laughed for days. It was really therapeutic actually.

So there it is from time to time I attract a cell phone user who is engaged in a conversation to be around when I'm not aware that they are in a conversation. I then speak and receive responses in a very real feeling pseudo-conversation. I wish it would happen a little more often. Some days I just need a good laugh.

3 comments:

Th. said...

.

Ha!

But, to make you happy: You're wrong!

Schmetterling said...

Funny thing, I read this post yesterday, and then today as I was mopping a bathroom floor, a kid came in and occupied a toilet. Shortly thereafter, he said, "Hello?"

"Hi!" I said.

"Good morning!" he said. "Why aren't you up yet?"

Immediately, I knew what had happened because I could hear the person he was talking to responding through his phone. I almost started laughing, but I managed to suppress it until he made his next comment:

"No, I'm not busy."

I couldn't help it; I left the bathroom with giggles leaking out of my firmly closed lips.

Made me think of you, Schlange m'boy; made me think of you.

Jason L Secrest said...

Thank you, Mr. Opposition (aka th.), for discharging your obligation to make sure opposing views are considered. The vote is unanimous, my story is true.

Thanks for sharing Shemt - I get jolly over that kind of thing now. =D